How to Access Dental Services
In order to receive the full range of dental treatment and care under the NHS, you must be registered with a dentist.
When you register with a dentist you’ll be registered for life, unless you or your dentist requests your registration to be withdrawn.
If you attend another dentist for treatment and don’t tell them you’re registered elsewhere, your registration will automatically transfer to that dentist.
Not all dentists will take on new NHS patients so it’s important to ask them if they’re able to take you on as an NHS patient during your first contact with them.
Please find out more at: Find a Dentist.
Accessing Free Dental Treatment
Dental treatment is available at NO COST with the dental students at the Dumfries Dental Centre, Bankend Road, Dumfries.
Where can I get more information?
If you are interested in being treated by a student, please read the Patient Information Leaflet and then complete and return the self referral form within. Self referral forms can also be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org For more information call the Dental Helpline on 0845 6026417, read our further information
How long would I have to wait to see a student?
Waiting times will fluctuate depending on the time of year. Please bear in mind that students are not in 52 weeks of the year so the waiting times over the Summer period will be longer as the students are not in.
How can I get an appointment?
1. We are happy to receive patient self referrals for a Dental Outreach student; and
2. We are happy to receive referrals from a dental professional for a Therapy student, including:
- Routine adult restorative treatments, amalgam, composite from small to large cavities, and includes root caries etc;
- Children, for prevention, filling (including preformed crowns) and extractions under Local Anaesthetic;
- Anxious patients including children; and
- Adults with advanced periodontal disease.
If you are not currently registered for NHS dental services, the Health Board would encourage you to do so. Please find out more at: Find a Dentist.
How can you comment on the service?
If you wish to make a comment, compliment or complaint, you can speak directly to a member of staff by calling 01387 245530 after 10am, Monday to Friday.
Alternatively, you may prefer to make a written comment, compliment or complaint. In the first case, please write to:
Senior Dental Nurse
Dumfries Dental Centre