Dumfries & Galloway Health & Social Care

Sexual Assault Response Coordination Service (SARCS)

If you have recently been raped or sexually assaulted, it’s understandable if you don’t know what to do or where to turn.

SARCS is a dedicated NHS service which can offer healthcare and support in the days after an assault, if you are not ready to tell the police or are unsure.

What options are available to me?

Police report
If you have been raped or sexually assaulted, you can report it to the police at any time, in an emergency situation dial 999, non-emergencies dial 101,  www.scotland.police.uk

Self-referral to a SARCS
If you have been raped or sexually assaulted within the last 7 days and do not want to tell the police or are unsure about telling them now – you can self-refer to a SARCS. This means you don’t need a GP or other healthcare professional to refer you to a SARCS – you can do this yourself.

You can phone a dedicated NHS telephone number 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and speak to a specially trained healthcare professional who can help to arrange the care you might need.  

You can find more information about how to self-refer to a SARCS and the telephone number to call, on the NHS Inform website www.nhsinform.scot/sarcs

Was your assault more than 7 days ago?
If you have been assaulted more than 7 days ago, Rape Crisis can provide you with information on other organisations that can help. Visit https://www.rapecrisisscotland.org.uk/links/