Older Adults Psychology
The Older Adult Psychology team is made up of three Clinical Psychologists:-
- Dr Fionnuala Edgar covers Stewarty and Wigtownshire regions
- Dr Rebecca Bell covers Annandale & Eskdale and Nithsdale
- Dr Gillian Bowie works within the IDEAS team supporting people with dementia experiencing stress and distress
The team also regularly have trainee Clinical Psychologists on six month placements and other qualified Clinical Psychologists and Psychological Therapists working in the department.
What We Do
The Older Adult Psychology service provides a range of services including:
- Assessment and treatment for people aged 65 years and above for a range of mental health problems such as depression, anxiety, bereavement and trauma.
- Memory assessments.
- Training and support/supervision to other health care professionals around psychological aspects of care for older people.
What will happen when referred?
When someone is referred to the Older Adult Psychology service they will be sent an appointment for an assessment. This will usually take place over 2-3 appointments. The assessment will include:
- Finding out how things are for you and exploring what might be making the problem worse or better.
- Focus on your strengths to help overcome difficulties.
- Based on the assessment, we will discuss ‘formulation’ which is a way of understanding current problems to help decide the best type of treatment, for your own specific
We accept referrals from a range of different Health and Social Care professionals including:
- Community Mental Health Nurses
- Nursing Staff
- Social Work
- Allied Health Professionals including, Occupational Therapists, Speech and Language Therapists and Physiotherapists
Who is suitable for Psychological therapy?
Anyone who is struggling with their mood and well being and feels ready to make changes to their life. Treatment will involve coming to weekly or fortnightly therapy sessions. Each session will last about an hour. The length of treatment will depend on the nature of the problem and what the current recommendations are for this treatment. Treatment is more successful when individuals are able to work on their problems in between sessions. The therapist will often set ‘homework’ tasks for this reason. If you think you or someone you know may benefit from being assessed by the team, we would encourage you to discuss this with your GP.
The Older Adult Psychology Service are based at:
Older Adults Psychology Service
Department of Psychological Services & Research
Mountainhall Treatment Centre
Tel. 01387 244495,
Open Monday to Friday, 8.30am-5pm, for enquiries.
Appointments for the Service are held throughout Dumfries and Galloway. If there are concerns regarding transport or accessibility to attend appointments, home visits may be an option.
Helpful Contact Details
Tel. 0800 4 70 80 90
Tel. 0800 83 85 87
Living Life (NHS24)
Tel. 0800 328 9655
NHS Dumfries & Galloway:Interventions in Dementia Education Assessment Service (IDEAS).