Care Experienced Health & Wellbeing Team
Who are we?
We are a multi disciplinary health and wellbeing service for children and young people up to 18 years old who are care experienced and living in Dumfries and Galloway.
The child or young person may be care experienced at home, in kinship care, in residential care or adopted.
What do we do?
Who Can Refer?
Referrals will be considered from:
How to Refer?
We accept referrals by letter, email or Request For Assistance Form.
Information to be included in a referral;
- What the current concerns are and the impact on the child?
- What services are currently involved with the child/family and what work they are undertaking?
- What assistance is being requested?
Have a look at our walk through building tour of The Willows, Children, Young People and Family Centre.
Other information that would be helpful:
- An overview of the current living situation
- Significant life events that may have occurred
- A brief family history or any other background information that is available.
- Our service would encourage referrers to contact us for a discussion of their concerns about a young person prior to making a referral.
- We can only accept a referral if consent has been gained by whomever holds parental rights for the young person.
- Referrals for out-of-region young people must always be made by their social worker
1. The child is Care Experienced and Accommodated, and/or in kinship care or adopted.
2. The young person is between the ages of 0 – 18.
3. The young person is resident in Dumfries and Galloway.
4. The young person is displaying significant emotional and/or behavioural difficulties related to care experienced and accommodated, including neuro-developmental difficulties.
Referral's to the Specialist Care Experienced team are
not likely to be appropriate when:
1. The young person’s presenting difficulties are not related to their care experienced status.
2. The primary concerns are school based e.g. difficulties are only present in the school environment.
3. The concerns are only related to substance or alcohol misuse, in which case referrals should be directed to ISSU18.
4. An emergency psychiatric assessment is required because of suspected psychosis, suicidal intent or a life threatening eating disorder, in which case referrals should be made urgently to Dumfries and Galloway CAMHS on (01387) 244662.