Dumfries & Galloway Health & Social Care

Financial Wellbeing

Citizens Advice cover a huge range of advice subjects and we have a public website which can be accessed 24hrs a day. We have offices based in Dumfries, Stranraer and Annan. We do have some outreach clinics and can also provide advice on the phone, email etc. We have a central number Tel:0300 3034321

Financial advice and support is available from Dumfries & Galloway Citizens Advice Service. Specialist advisors can provide assistance and advice on fuel poverty as well as many other situations such as debt management, budgeting, housing issues and benefit advice.

Tel no: 0300 303 4321 or go to https://www.dagcas.org – this is the local web page which has some information about their services and how to contact them. 

There are links to further resource set up and managed by Citizens Advice Scotland such as their public advice site https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/scotland/ which has a massive variety of advice, information and tools the public can access 24hrs a day.

Referrals can be made on behalf of Health & Social Care Partnership Staff using this referral form and emailing to info@dagcas.org 

Citizens Advice Scotland

Keeping on top of your money is a very important aspect of most people’s lives. Sometimes unexpected events can cause real money problems. Dumfries & Galloway Citizens Advice Service offers a full range of debt and money services, ranging from assistance to accessing formal and informal debt remedies.

Debt and Money | Dumfries and Galloway Citizens Advice Service (dagcas.org)


For the information of anyone in receipt of either working tax credit or child tax credit.

The migration process from tax credits over to Universal Credit is now being rolled out in our area effective from now.

I urge you to keep an eye out in the post for your Migration Notice.  This will inform you that your tax credits are due to be moved over by a certain date.  This date should give you approximately 3 months to apply for Universal Credit.

There is no need to panic, however it is important that you do not ignore this, if you do then your tax credits will stop and any transitional protection will be lost.

Your letter will provide you with instructions on how to complete the process which includes seeking advice from the Help to Claim team at the Citizens Advice Service.

You can contact them on Tel: 0800 023 2581 Citizens Advice Service (dagcas.org)

Citizens Advice provide a wide resource of advice, information and guidance relating to family and relationship issues. There are lots of other useful sites which may offer different sorts of info for families

Family | Dumfries and Galloway Citizens Advice Service (dagcas.org)

Family Action, Building stronger families (family-action.org.uk)

Maternity Rights Advice Line – Maternity Action


Did you know various charitable organisations throughout the UK were set up to assist certain occupations? Below is a selection, which can offer hardship funding, grants and information.

Complete a TASC Application Form Online | TASC (theasc.org.uk)   Ambulance Staff

Get Help – The Care Workers Charity   Care workers

What we do – Cavell (cavellnursestrust.org)  Nurses, healthcare workers and midwifes

Funding opportunities (csp.org.uk)  Chartered Society Physiotherapists

 Healthcare Workers’ Foundation – What we do (healthcareworkersfoundation.org)

Homepage – Pharmacist Support

Home | RCN Foundation | Royal College of Nursing

Type of support | BMA Charities Refugee doctors or medical students

Grants – Junius S. Morgan Benevolent Fund (juniusmorgan.org.uk)   Nurses, midwives and health care assistants

https://www.sor.org/about/society-of-radiographers/benevolent-fund/financial-support#How-can-you-apply-for-help  Radiographers

There for You (UNISON Welfare) | Member support and services | UNISON National

Turn2us website can be used for a basic individual search   Fighting UK Poverty – Turn2us

Direct support for staff who work within the Health and Social Care Partnership is available through a partnership with Dumfries and Galloway Citizens Advice Service. This can be for a wide range of issues  – energy, debt, benefit checks, childcare support and more…

If you would like to access support, advice or information from the HSCP project you can use the direct link where you will  be asked to fill in basic details to request support request  https://www.dagcas.org/hcsp/

HSCP financial Information and Support Service is confidential and DAGCAS comply with government GDPR regulation which can be viewed on our Privacy Policy notice online.

Power Of Attorney is a legal document that allows someone to make decisions on your behalf if you become unable to do so, including support you to manage your finances and welfare.

This video is a real life situation showing the problems that can arise unexpectedly should a family member or loved one become unwell and lose capacity on a temporary basis.

More information can be found on Power Of Attorney can be found by following the links

Managing affairs for someone else – Citizens Advice Scotland


Home Energy Scotland


Cost of Living

Local website with a range of information and support D&G residents with the cost of living including:

  • Support for Income
  • Help for Households
  • Help Finding Work
  • Families and Young People
  • Older and Disabled People
  • Health and Wellbeing


Cost of Living – Cost of Living DG (dumgal.gov.uk)

Other Useful Resources

Moneymap https://moneymap.scot/  The purpose of this tool is to possibly increase your income, reduce bills and ease the cost of daily living. This tool has been developed by Citizens Advice Scotland. The tool several options and can be used to complete a basic benefits check for yourself through to exploring Charitable Grants.

Council Tax Reduction Council Tax Reduction Tool – Citizens Advice Scotland (checkmycounciltax.scot) This is an online app created by Citizens Advice Scotland for checking for any potential Council Tax discounts or reductions people may be entitled too.

MoneyHelper Is set up and managed by HM Government and Money & Pensions Service. This has practical financial information from savings, retirement through to Money troubles.